Re: Winter Wheel Hop and Tailgates

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 15:02:02 EST

>Tailgates: I read in a Click and Clack article that trucks
>today are engineered for the tailgate UP. The article said
>that you don't get significant mpg increase. This needs to be
>verified tho. (Someone /*inside*/ perhaps). Anyone have a
>windtunnel handy? And, doesn't the bed tend to warp after a
>while of having the gate down/off? (Urban legend?)

I had heard the same thing was found as a result of wind tunnel testing by 2
of the big 3 manufacturers... (you guess which 2 ;-) and that the only
thing that resulted in less drag was to cover the back 2/3 of the bed, but
leave the front 1/3 uncovered... (I know, it doesn't sound right, but that's
what I heard)..

Gary Shook