99 R/T CC Unavailability and Driveline issues

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 09:51:04 EST

     Hi, folks. There has been a lot of talk lately about the 99 R/T CC
     production being held up, possibly because of a driveline retrofit.
     This causes concern for me because I placed an order for one on Nov. 7
     with the hopes that it would come in mid-January. I think the theory
     of the driveline/driveshaft problems causing the holdup has some
     merit. I have an article from either Car and Driver or Motor Trend
     from this summer where they wrap-up their long-term test of a 98
     Dakota Sport Club Cab 2wd with 318 auto. The biggest problem they had
     was with the driveshaft and u-joints. It first surfaced when they did
     a top speed run and the u-joint broke or something. I think it was
     because of severe vibration they said. Anyways, this problem happened
     a few times, and finally Dodge gave them a new 1 piece driveshaft that
     was supposed to be a late-year retrofit (possibly a new for 99 thing?)
     replacement for the 2 piece. Apparently they were impressed at the
     beefy "NASCAR" style shaft and didn't have any problems with it.

     Maybe this is where they are at now. Maybe the one piece can't stand
     up to the 360? I believe that this is close to the explanation of the
     problem. I called my dealer yesterday and of course they didn't know a
     thing. I guess I'll be calling the customer service line!

     Chad Niwranski
     future (I hope) 99 R/T CC
     Abbotsford, BC