Re: Re: Re: Re: Kill the MAP/Earn $1,000! was:Fuel pressure---idea?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 21:37:54 EST

At 04:28 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>try to figure out some way that the signal from the map can be made to
>>artificially make the sbec happy while disconnnected...
>>
>>jam'n
>>

>Hey Jules -
>
>Who was the one that came up with the device to fool the SBEC into thinking
>you have a cat. convertor ? Maybe that person could do something similar
>for the MAP . Don't they both work by varying voltage readings to the SBEC ?

  That can probably be done, but with the MAP there is the added complication
that the data from the MAP is actually used to alter engine parameters. With
the downstream O2 sensor, its just used to determine the efficiency of the
cat; it doesn't really matter what you send back, its not going to hurt
anything. But, the PCM actually uses the signal from the MAP to control
engine operation. (exactly how and what it uses it for, I don't know, but
that's something you'd definitely have to find out before attempting any
sort of simulator...)

  Its probably really simple; the hardest part is in knowing exactly what
the computer uses it for and what checks it does. That information is
probably sealed up in a vault in CC somewhere. ;-) Knowledge truly is
power. :-)

                                               -Jon-