Re: Re: Vortech Group Buy... was: Vorteched R/T

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 11:20:21 EST

<< Do any particular ones come to mind? I believe NOS has a couple, the
Jacobs
 Nitrous Mastermind seems pretty cool. I think I've seen one sold by MSD
 too.
 Like you say though, the solenoid abuse is the problem... Do you have any
 experience with using a progressive system? If so, do you just replace your
 solenoids after X number of hours, or get them refurbished, or... ? Any ways
 to test a solenoid to determine its general well-being? >>

While I've never ran a progressive control setup on any of my personal
vehicles, I have seen a progressive setup run on motorcycles and cars all the
time. I beleive NOS was the company that made the setup used on the bikes, and
it not only lessened the initial shock, but allowed the bikes to run about 3-4
tenths quicker.

I do remember solenoid rebuilds weren't an uncommon thing, but these bikes
were raced all weekend every weekend. On a street setup, like your truck, you
probably wouldn't run into any troubles for awhile.. I would always check my
nitrous solenoid by activating the system, making sure none was leaking into
the motor, then tap the WOT switch (after disconnecting the fuel solenoid) and
make sure it closed fully.

The fuel solenoid's very obvious when it leaks, or stays stuck open...

<< Well, you surely can't accuse Patrick of trying to push his products!
:-) >>

I've had my experience with Nitrous too.

I had a Formula 350 that went 15.5 @ 88 mph (no joke. It was slow!) on the
motor, but with a "150" wet kit w/ spray bar from NOS, I ran a best of 12.8 @
107 mph on bald BFG Radial T/As. Avg ET was 13.0 and it went atleast 105 mph
through the traps all day long.

Needless to say I was very happy with the performance increase, but the
constant bottle filling got annoying, and I ended up leaning out and burning a
piston at the end due to a problem I didn't catch..

I consider nitrous a drag racing trick only, while a blower is something that
will increase the overall drivability of your truck. Sure, the nitrous is fun
when you're WOT, but how well does the nitrous help a 2+ ton truck maneuver
through traffic? Not very well..

ttyl
Patrick