Re: 92 suspension-- ball joints & idler arm

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 16:54:00 EST

>I took my 92 4x4 to get a front end alignment. I was told that both lower
>ball joints, 1 upper ball joint and 1 idler arm are bad.
>

>Is this something I can fix in my driveway, with a standard tool set?

you will need the appropriate sized ball joint separator... also known as a
pickle fork... you will probably also need the assistance of a machine shop
(or a least a custom socket) to get the ball joints out of the control
arms.. (I'm not familar with what a '92 Dak uses, I've rebuilt much older
suspensions)

>should I go down and have the front end aligned as soon as I finish
>replacing the above.

Yes.

>should I look at replacing anything else while I have the front end torn
>apart.

I would look into getting a front end rebuild kit... they should include the
idler arm, all 4 ball joints, the tie rod ends and all of the bushings (if
you like your suspension tight, get poly bushings) This is what I've used
on old (68-74) chrysler products I've rebuilt... the bushings will require a
press to remove & install... any decent garage will have a press, and should
be able to do this for you (for a nominal fee, of course)