Re: K&N dissapointment

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 21:50:21 EST

I've got 110,000 miles on my 92 V8.....had my K&N since 20k.......No
problems, runs like a bat out of hell....

At 01:53 PM 11/28/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, after running about 8,000 on my new, factory replacement,
>K & N, I did a oil change on my first batch of Mobil 1.
>(installed at 10K) I had 5k on the oil, and mailed a sample
>in to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis. It came back yesterday
>(Friday) with the following highlights:
>Silicon is above normal levels, check your fresh air system.
>Lead is higher than iron, lead is from bearings.
>
>Ack!! this means grit is getting past the filter, I pulled it out
>today between rain showers, and look through it. Yes, THROUGH it.
>I can easily see about 5% daylight clear through it. That sucker is
>going back. It may flow well, and sound cool, but it lets too much
>dirt through for me. I only have 15K on this 98 DAK, and I need to
>have it last a long time (18 yrs or so).
> feedback / comments welcome.
>I also finally had a mechanic friend of mine pull the factory
>plugs out, they were stuck in awfully tight. I have a new set in,
>gapped at .050 and now I'll see if Jacobs ing systems are any good.
>had the spark computer and 8.5mm wires in for about a month, but
>couldn't get the plugsout on my own.
>Mike (Lost Angeles)
>--
>" I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a
> nominee that will beat Bill Clinton in 2000. "
> former V.P. Dan Quayle

"M ove O ver, P ickup A pproacing R apidly!"
1992 Dakota 4x4, Standard cab, short bed, 5.2 L V8, K&N, Gibson/Dynomax
exhaust,Power Puleys, MP SBEC, 180 degree thermostat, Bushwhackers,
tire/wheel package, Lund Moonvisor & Interceptor, Custom Cover tonneau,
Bundy rear bumper, chrome grillguard/pushbar

see http://www.usaor.net/users/zavetsky for pictures!

MOPAR or NOCAR!