RE: Re: Vortech Group Buy... was: Vorteched R/T

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 12:38:31 EST

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Mok, Alan (SPB) wrote:

> Anytime you've made mods to your engine to squeeze an extra 100+ HP you're
> taking a chance something will break. Most of the time OEM parts are
> engineered to withstand the factory level of output. If you're lucky you'll
> get some "off the shelf" part that was engineered for a higher output
> application.
>
> If CC made a 2nd version of the R/T with a blower for $6000 over the N/A
> version you can bet I will buy it. $6k can buy a lot of aftermarket parts so
> why not save the money by buying the N/A version and make the mods yourself?
> Because I would feel better knowing that they've put enough testing and
> engineering into the package to protect their asses from warranty claims and
> such.
>
> caveat - when you're thinking about dropping $$$ into your vehicle and
> blowing the door off that "new off the showroom floor" brand X.
>
> alan

   That's a good point. Course, I'd still be somewhat wary; take the
Syclone for example, which seems to be built well enough to last just
long enough for the warranty to expire... ;-) There's also no
way to know for sure what the quality might be from the factory; we've
seen how build quality can change from truck to truck.

  Probably the best bet as far as reliability goes is to have a
reputable engine builder put something together for you (Hughes engines,
etc.) That would probably cost a lot more though... (Or even better,
do it yourself if you've got the know-how. I wish I did...)

  I guess what it comes down to is, you can have it: Cheap Fast Reliable

   Pick any two. :-)

                                              -Jon-