97 Dak with uneven (feathering) tire wear

From: kayej@home.com
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 15:42:20 EST

My 97 4X2 Dak is on a second set of tires with 26K original miles on the truck. Took it
into the dealer with 12K they aligned it and sent me on my way. OEM tires were trashed at
25K so I put new Cooper Discovers all around and got a lifetime alignment package from
the GoodYear tire folks. Less than 2K later front tires were beginning to show the same
type of feathering. Went back to the GoodYear folks and they said the alignment was
right on spec. Took it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong - ha - it's
eating my tires!!!! After much discussion and reading notes from fellow Dak owners on DML
I got the dealer to agree to but new shocks (Bilstein)on the truck. Hope this solves the
problem. Dealer also suggested front tire PSI of 38lbs. Anyone have a success story on
this apparently common problem with Dak front ends??
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)