Re: 97 Dak with uneven (feathering) tire wear

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 19:44:36 EST

kayej@home.com wrote:

> My 97 4X2 Dak is on a second set of tires with 26K original miles on the truck. Took it
> into the dealer with 12K they aligned it and sent me on my way. OEM tires were trashed at
> 25K so I put new Cooper Discovers all around and got a lifetime alignment package from
> the GoodYear tire folks. Less than 2K later front tires were beginning to show the same
> type of feathering.
> I got the dealer to agree to but new shocks (Bilstein)on the truck. Hope this solves the
> problem. Dealer also suggested front tire PSI of 38lbs. Anyone have a success story on
> this apparently common problem with Dak front ends??

I have a friend with a 97 Ram that did the same thing so its not just a Dak problem but a
Dodge problem. He ruined a set of front tires (feathering or cupping) in 5k miles. After 2
alignment adjustments the dealer changed to 3/4 ton shocks on his 1/2 ton truck and paid for
a different brand of tires all around. He now has about 15k miles and no more tire
problems. So good shocks may help. BTW I only put 5k on my 98 Dak 4x2 and the tires showed
no signs of problems. My 99 R/T has only 1.6k now so it is probably too soon to see any
problems.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC