Re: flat-spotted torque in an R/T

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 16:33:58 EST

>I have been noticing more and more (at the track too) that when in O/D OFF
>mode , or on for that matter and under WOT , there seems to be a flat spot
>in the torque between about 3500 and 4000 RPM . All I have on the truck
>right now is the 14"FABM , I wonder what could be causing this ?
>
>When I was at the track last , it started to piss me off because I would
>feel the flat spot just about the time you reach the last set of traps !!!
>
>Any ideas ?

None, Jack, but I CAN tell you that the torque curve (from my chassis
dyno tests in Nov.) starts to actually drop off at about 3600 RPM, after
remaining mostly flat to that point. After about 4000 RPM, the HP curve
starts to drop off. I had two pulls done on my stock R/T, and curiously,
there was a little spike of about 10 lbs.-ft. and 15 HP at about
3600-3650 RPM. This occurred JUST before the torque curve started to
drop off. Interesting that it was repeatable on the second pull. Both
runs were done in 3rd gear with OD off.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T
Houston, Texas