RE: check engine light is on after cat back installation

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 06 1998 - 15:57:03 EST

At 06:38 AM 12/5/98 -0800, you wrote:
>that fixed it. The exhaust sounds really good.

   Don't get your hopes up. :-) Disconnecting the battery will clear
out the codes (and with them, the check engine light), but if something
really is wrong, it will be back. If the install shop caused a MIL while
they were working on the truck, its possible that this may be the end of
it. However, if the O2 sensor is damaged (or whatever), the MIL will be
back. Was the MIL on right from the get-go, or did it come on after you
had driven the truck a while? If its the latter, the chances are excellent
that it will come back on, and you'll have to treat the problem instead of
the symptoms for it to go away...

  Don't get me wrong; I hope the problem really is gone, but I figured
I'd better warn you just in case you see that MIL pop on again...

                                               -Jon-