RE: MP comp.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 13:19:26 EST

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Michael Guzinski wrote:
> Does anyone know what chips are in a factory SBEC are they standard
> Motorola, NEC, or what?
> I have the ability to "flash" different types of chips for PROMs and E-PROMs
> from computers. If anyone has cracked one open let me know.

  I did open up my stock PCM when I installed the MP unit (just to see
what was inside) but I didn't see anything; its filled with goop...

  I seem to recall, either from a post on the DML or from an article
in a magazine, that the chip in question is a Microchip unit. A
PIC17C series, I think. ???

  Most Microchip microcontrollers have code protection though, so
you can't just read the code off the chip. You'd have to know
how the program worked before you could flash anything...
(I have used the PIC16F84, but none of the other ones; mostly
because the F84 is an EEPROM (electronically eraseable, you don't
need a UV eraser). Microchip is starting to convert other chips
in their product line to flash technology though, so its getting
easier and less expensive to use these things. If we knew how
the program in the PCM works anyone could reprogram their own PCMs
for an initial outlay of $20-40 (You need a PC also) That'd be
pretty cool.) :-)

                                              -Jon-