W.W.II aircraft

From: Popovich, Greg, BMG-NY1540 (Greg.Popovich@bmge.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 14:44:50 EST

Ahhhh... Not really... They used a hybrid called TurboSuperchargers
built especially for the Allison engines. They could also be found in
the B-17,B-24 and B-29 bombers. Pretty neat setup on the radial engines.
Talk about plumbing!

At 01:40 PM 12/7/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>>Both the Axis and the Allies used nitrous quite successfully in their
aircraft, mostly for high altitude operation. The higher you >>go, the
less dense the air is, and the engine starts to run really rich. Nitrous
Oxide was a way to maintain a nice dense oxygen >>content. There were
some aircraft that would run off nitrous for a half an hour at a time!
Today, turbochargers are used >>instead, although nitrous is still used
occasionally. There is a Formula One racer (which uses nitrous)
sponsored by Shell >>named Pushy Galore that was purpose built to break
5 specific records (mostly time to climb). (It has broken all 5 records,
>>and was retired >this year.)
>>Speaking of W.W.II and nitrous, an interesting fact is that its
benefits to aircraft engines were discovered and developed
>>independently by both the Nazis and the British. (It was considered
top secret and both sides were careful to keep the info to >>themselves
>Hmmmm... Interesting... From with I have seen both the Allied and Axis
used water and methanol mixtures to achieve what is >called War
Emergency Power, and it depended on what aircraft it was used on. If
memory serves me right almost all naval >aircraft from the F6F Hellcat
on to the F9F Tigercat, and on Army Air Corps the P40,P51 and the P38
(with TSC's) had it. >The Jap Zero and Zeke both had it as well as the
Me109 and FW190's

Greg Popovich - Service Engineer
D.I.S. Research Ltd
(212)930-4202