Re: W.W.II aircraft

From: DodgeBoyz3@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 19:25:31 EST

In a message dated 07-12-98 2:59:41 PM Central Standard Time,
Greg.Popovich@bmge.com writes:

> Ahhhh... Not really... They used a hybrid called TurboSuperchargers
> built especially for the Allison engines. They could also be found in
> the B-17,B-24 and B-29 bombers. Pretty neat setup on the radial engines.
> Talk about plumbing!

I had the headache of "replumbing" the TSC's on our B-17, "Texas Raiders" a
few years ago when I was an active member of the CAF. It was a nightmare!
Most of the fittings and lines were replaced with modern hardware. But if you
ever get the chance to see the engine w/ the cowl removed, take a good look.
It was an engineering achievement I would have been proud of. The plane
itself is awesome!

On the P-38 Lightning (Forked Tail Devil as the Nazi's called it).......The
Waco wing of the CAF is currently restoring one of these aircraft. Hope to
see it in the air by 2001. Lots of work to be done, and it quite expensive.
Most parts must be fabricated. This version is to be the night fighter type,
as of my last update.

Dak content: None (putting on Nomex)

Gene