Re: Lifter tapping

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Tue Dec 08 1998 - 02:21:49 EST

>Thanks to everyone that answered the 7/70 half of my question. I ended
>up not having it to begin with so now im looking at getting the tapping
>noise fixed myself. Is there a valve adjustment or something that I can
>adjust to stop it.

Depends on why it's tapping... it may just be clogged, and some lifter
un-stick goo might fix it (but I doubt it)

I know that on my VW engine that valve adjustments
>are part of the regular maintenance schedule. Did the 93 V-6 have
>hydralic lifters?

all Chrysler engine since '71... The Hemi was the last hold-out for
mechanical lifters

 Did the 93 V-6 have
>hydralic lifters? One more question, is it still drivable?

That depends on why it's tapping.. my father drove a '77 Buick with a REAL
loud lifter tap for 10+ years, it never failed, just made noise (especially
when cold). But it could be tapping because the lifter or cam profile is
self-destructing (not real likely, but possible).

I would use the opportunity to see if there's a better cam available (I
don't know on the 6'r) and get a cam & lifter set...

Just my two copper/zinc discs..

Gary Shook