Re: Lifter tapping

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 17:13:17 EST

I'm happy to hear it turned out to be nothing major... my experiences with
engine noises have been few & far between, but when I get 'em, they're
bad... spun main bearing in a '68 383 (such a low, deep knocking noise that
it's hard to hear, and impossible to hear where it's coming from...) and a
broken crank from a lousy machine shop job... (turned out to cost less than
$150, but sounded REAL bad)

I run Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles, unless they're burning oil (like my '88
Samurai) burning synth just gets too expensive... I don't know if this has
helped, but when I tore down that engine w/ the broken crank (15,000 miles
on a rebuild) there were still hone marks on the cylinder walls, and you
could eat off the inside of the engine, absolutely NO sludge....

Gary Shook