RE: RE: RE: Fast Daks

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 10:35:45 EST

Here's simple (non-mathematical) way to find out...it gets close but not
accurate:

(1) Jack up the rear end and make sure the brakes are off and it's in
Neutral
(2) Put a mark on your driveshaft and then a mark on your tire.
(3) Turn the tire one full revolution and count how many time the mark on
the driveshaft turned (that's where you'll need a buddy to help)
(4) You ratio will be: How many times the driveshaft turned (ex: 3.5 times)
in relation to the single revolution of your tire (obviously 1). (ex: 3.5:1)

It's a really old-fashioned way and isn't that accurate but if you already
know what gear options were offered with your truck, it's easy to figure
out. (If you driveshaft turned almost, but not quite, 4 times to the 1 time
with the tire...this means it's probably in the 3.92 ratio. (It could be
also a 3.73:1 but this is where your buddy needs to watch closely.
Sometimes...it's best to do it twice for accuracy.)

Regards,

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
"Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those Fords off the road....."