Re: Swap of "crate" 360 into '97 Dakota?

From: Allen Cates (setac@setac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 11:19:30 EST

Hi,

I may be wrong on this, but I do not believe the crate engine is a magnum
motor. This means your dry intake will not bolt on since the bolts on a magnum
motor go straight down as opposed to an angle. Therefore, you would not be
able to use the existing EFI. If you elected to go with a carburetor, then no
problem, but the Chrysler system incorporates many things and you could lose
many of your systems, like cruise control, etc. You can buy a 360 magnum motor
from Chrysler. A short block goes for around $1350.00. Heads bare will go
around $450.00 each. You then have to add valves and valve train. It would
than be good to go with heavier push rods. Be very careful about people who
tell you they can make modifications on the magnum head. Very few people know
how to do this. You may want to consider doing work on your existing 5.2.
There is a lot of traffic about NOS and SC. I do not know which is better. I
never used NOS. I went with SC. I like it. With some other tricks you can get
100 HP. However, I am hearing some good things about NOS. Your choice, but I do
not feel the advantage of a 5.9 is worth the cost since you already have a 5.2.
I am not an expert. My comments are for assistance only.

Allen

--

*My office Telephone #: 318-988-2236 (Automatically beeps me. Leave a message)

*My office Fax #: 318-988-2411 *Company Web Site: http://www.setac.com