Re: Swap of "crate" 360 into '97 Dakota?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 13:04:46 EST

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Allen Cates wrote:

> I agree, if you are looking for the best performance and are willing to pay the
> price.
>
> When you say you put in a 5.9, I gather you put in a 5.9 magnum and used the
> existing EFI, correct? I have heard people say they have fuel injected a non
> magnum engine, but have not seen proof. Have you actually seen a standard 360
> that was fuel injected and placed in a Dakota truck? Further, the crate engines

    Bill Tierney was saying that he knows of a guy who supposedly put a
crate motor adapted to EFI in his 4x4. (Ram, I think.) I've never
actually seen it myself, but I'm hoping he shows up at the track
someday; I'd like to see that.

> being sold by Chrysler are not Magnum engines to my knowledge. I have heard

  Check out the MP Catalog. I'm pretty sure it says they're Magnum engines
in there. 300 and 380 "Magnum" crate motors. They're also selling a
Magnum short block now too.

> about modified M-1 manifolds to incorporate fuel injection, however, the only
> successful one had to use the standard 2 barrel throttle body. Who do you know
> that modifies the M-1 manifold? Do you have first hand knowledge?

  Mopar Performance is doing that now, so you don't have to worry about drilling
bosses for the injectors any more. Its called the MPI manifold, and its basically
the EFI version of the M1 single plane. Its a 4-barrel manifold, but it comes
with an adapter plate so that the stock 2 barrel TBI can be used.
   They were supposed to be out by now; I think Frank H. is checking on their
current status.

                                              -Jon-