[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Electric Fan(HELP!)]]

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 16:50:00 EST

Another point I ment to make is, a fan clutch isn't such a power loss
when it's not engaged, however, I installed a JETII chip without the 180
stat and the result was a truck that ran hot enough to engage the fan
clutch and actually rob the power gain of the chip. Ran a 15.8 w/o chip,
15.9 with. let it sit with the hood up for about an hour with 60 degree
night air, made a pass, 15.4 and the fan clutch didn,t roar that time.
That alone convinced me to go with electric fans. Results were, JETII,
180stat, elec fans, 15.1 @ 90mph. I think they're worth it. Alan S.

attached mail follows:

I have tried this on several different engine combinations and only one it
helped was on my old AMC Jevelin (232 Six Cylinder).

The other vehicles were:

(1) 1976 "Pro-Street" Class Camaro (BB Chevy 408CID/FI/NOS Motor) - We ran a
standard "Flex Fan" and then an electric and noticed NO difference in the
11.9sec/129MPH timeslips
(2) 1976 Ford Capri (German 2.6L V6/4BBL) - Had Stock fan, then Fan Clutch,
then Electric. Stayed with the Fan Clutch since there was no difference.

On modified motors, the negligible difference from electric and fan-clutch
are so small, you can get better results by removing either the A/C unit or
Air Pump (On older emissions vehicles)..or by simply installing a better
intake/exhaust system.