Re: Swap of "crate" 360 into '97 Dakota?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 19:47:32 EST

At 04:02 PM 12/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I have been receiving some interesting info on M-1 manifolds drilled out for
>EFI
>application, using crate motors in new trucks with EFI and head
>modification. I can
>verify some of this, but do not have actual proof as to problems
>experienced. This is
>what I was told by MOPAR Performance:
>
>They have the M-1 manifold, but it is not yet available drilled out and do
>not have a
>part number for the MP1. This part is ONLY for race applications and requires

   The part number for the MPI single plane intake manifold is P5249816.

>modifications to your existing systems if used. For example, you must remove
>one ear
>of the air condition compressor bracket. You no longer have EGR and must
>weld the
>tube closed to the exhaust manifold. Also, you have to keep the EGR vacuum
>hoses
>blocked off but remained attached to avoid fault codes. Cosmetically, it is
>a mess.
>You are hard pressed to find a place for all the sensors. The thermostat is
>a bitch
>to relocate and requires a odd ball modification. The 4 barrel throttle body
>is not
>yet available and I have head it requires a spacer to avoid hitting on the
>fuel rail.
>If the two barrel is used you have to manufacture an adapter, or buy one from
>Chrysler. In any event none of this is available from Chrysler as yet. I
>can attest
>to all above, but do not know where my modified M-1 manifold came from,
>except who I
>bought it from. (I had to remove it)

   Does the above apply to the new MPI manifold, or the M1 manifold? This is
starting to sound like a lot of trouble. :-( From what I've read, the MPI
comes with the adapter to mount the 2 barrel TBI to the intake. I don't like
all this talk about welding EGRs and stuff. :-( Doesn't the thermostat
sit right in the manifold?

  I had expected this to be a simple bolt on... Remove TB, remove manifold,
plop new manifold on engine, drop in thermostat, replace TB... I guess not?
If there are extreme modifications involved, usually MP will say so in the
catalog description, but I don't see anything here. (There is a note about
having to use the included spacer, but that's it.)

  Dang, I hate all this guessing and worrying; I wish MP would just release
the stupid thing already... Frank, any more news on that front?

>Modification of Magnum heads is a NO NO according to MOPAR. If the heads
>make too
>much air, which is intended, the EFI will not be able to read. I can attest
>to that.
>That may be why no one can find a reliable head modification business that
>will do
>work on Mopar Magnum heads. Unless you go to a carburetor, or radically
>change the
>EFI system to a digital from ACCEL you will experience major performance
>impairment
>if you modify the heads.

    Does this apply to any particular year? Frank H. had the heads ported
by Hughes engines (on a '95 I think?).

>To my thinking, this means you cannot do much to the Mopar engine, other
>than NOS or
>SC and there are problems with these. I have the SC and like it but there are
>problems.

   Yep, you could do a mild cam change, but besides that, if your info is
correct, I'd have to agree...

>I also have heard 3rd person accounts of success, but no actual first hand
>info. I
>sure would like to nail this down. It may save some people a lot of money
>and grief.

  Yep, I'd love to get some good solid info on this stuff. I know of at
least 2 people on the DML who are going to get MPI manifolds as soon as they
are released, so hopefully we'll know about that very soon.

                                               -Jon-