Re: Headlight replacement...

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 00:15:56 EST

William Goldbach said:
>You can't just buy bulbs, and wind up with HID lighting. The lights you
>refer to are "HID", High Energy Discharge. I know you can get them as a high
>dollar option on many European and Japanese luxury cars. I've seen prices in
>the $1000 (or so) range. The lights are much more than just different bulbs.
>There is a special power source and assorted electronics that make it all

Yup. They“re basically a fluorescent bulb, but very compact, and with lots of
light output.

>operate. The "blue" or "gold" bulbs you see advertised for $10-$25 each are
>nothing at all like the HID lighting system. They are just expensive, dyed
>bulbs. Actually, I have read that a blue bulb is worse for night vision.

They“re not all dyed bulbs. The good ones have xenon gas under pressure,
and maybe a few other exotic elements too. They“re not HID, but they“re
a bit better than conventional halogens.

Actually, SAAB tested some headlights (HIDs, I think) with very high UV
output (way beyond blue) with very positive results. The UV doesn“t blind
oncoming drivers (BTW, windshield glass blocks about 90%), but it makes
the road markers and vegetation alongside the road reflect back visible light.

The way cool hot shit is GM“s heads-up infrared system though.

Jim