Headlight replacement...

From: William T. Goldbach (goldbach@tellink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 20:42:46 EST

You can't just buy bulbs, and wind up with HID lighting. The lights you
refer to are "HID", High Energy Discharge. I know you can get them as a high
dollar option on many European and Japanese luxury cars. I've seen prices in
the $1000 (or so) range. The lights are much more than just different bulbs.
There is a special power source and assorted electronics that make it all
operate. The "blue" or "gold" bulbs you see advertised for $10-$25 each are
nothing at all like the HID lighting system. They are just expensive, dyed
bulbs. Actually, I have read that a blue bulb is worse for night vision.
(Something to do with wavelengths, spectrum, etc...) The best bet is to put
in some higher wattage bulbs in your stock headlights. JCWhitney had them at
one time. A place called Competition Limited has all kinds of bulbs,
mail-order. They are online at: http://www.htnews.com/comptltd/ or
http://www.htnews.com/comptltd/parts.html Be forewarned that these "high
performance" bulbs burn out much faster than the stock ones. Buy extras, you
will need them.