RE:HiLux anyone?

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 10:54:48 EST

  I don't doubt it. I learned to drive stick on my dads Hi-Lux (before he got
the Cummings: talk about a truck change) by sneaking the keys off the cork
board and driving it around the block a few times after school each day. He
had 3 engines for that truck the 8R, an 18R and the 22R. He retrofit a 5
speed SR5 tranny into it and rebuilt the 22R (low compression engine) back to
the 18R (high compression engine) and ended up rebuilding all 3 engines (by
himself) for less than $500 total. He sold it to a friend who still drives it
today and it goes like gang-busters. The A/C will freeze you out of the cab
and it only has a couple of squeeks and rattles. Not too shabby for a 28 year
old truck. I wish trucks now-a-days could have that kind of life expectancy.
I'd love to think my Dakota would still be around 28 years from now, but with
built in obsolescence, it'll probably be a rolling pile of scrap metal if it
even rolls.

Shaun H.