Re: MPI Manifold Was: Re: Swap of "crate" 360 into '97 Dakota?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 11:46:03 EST

At 09:18 PM 12/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>My manifold was featured in the July 97 issue of Mopar Muscle. I do not
>know where the machine work was done, but it was indicated that it was a
>modified M-1. According to MP they do not plan on selling them for
>ordinary street use.

  Hmmm, OK I think (hope) we're talking about two different things here.
There is the M1 manifold, which is for a carbeurated magnum, and it comes
on the magnum crate motors. Some people have drilled injector bosses in
these and adapted them to EFI magnums. But, there is also the MPI manifold.
This is a single plane manifold which is all set up for EFI magnums right from
Mopar Performance. If you've got a 1998 MP catalog, check out page 74.
Unfortunately, there's no picture. I'll type it out exactly as it appears
here:

    NEW!
    MAGNUM MPI SINGLE PLANE
    INTAKE MANIFOLD

     This new MPI single plane manifold fits 1992-98
     Magnum V8 engines and replaces the stock
     intake. Uses adapter to allow the stock throttle
     body to be used. Features machined bosses for
     individual injectors used on MPI. Single plane
     design gives more power and more engine speed
     potential. Uses Magnum style vertical attaching
     screws-doesn't fit older style heads.

     P5249816 318/360 Magnum Intake Manifold -
               Single Plane - For MPI System
               No Lost

   Based on reading some of the other descriptions in the MP catalog,
they seem to be pretty good about telling you if there are some
modifications required or if something else is needed to make it work.
Nothing like that in the above description though. To me, it sounds like
this thing just bolts right on!

>On the EGR, I cannot tell you about your truck. I have a 93 Ram Charger
>with a 360 and the tube is external going from the rear of the intake to
>the passenger side exhaust manifold. The M-1 does not have a place for the
>EGR. The thermostat housing is in a different position requiring
>modifications and you cannot use the same thermostat as used in the
>standard EFI manifold. I cannot tell you how it performs because it and
>the engine is tied up in a legal matter. I have been told first hand it
>works fine in another truck (Dakota) and the truck turns 13.5 in the
>quarter with everything else stock. He did not get his manifold the same
>place so he says and he works for Chrysler. Is there a secret about these
>things?

   DANG! 13.5 with no other mods???? Somethin' doesn't add up there.
That's like 1.5-2.5 seconds with just a manifold; doesn't seem right...

                                               -Jon-