Re: Lowering Again (My kits here!)

From: Jim Dille (jdille@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 11:57:44 EST

Bob -
Couple things I learned when doing my '93 with Belltech stuff (3"F/2"R):
1) If you are changing the front springs, be sure to remove the shock
BEFORE trying to take the spring out. The spring will bind with the
shock still in there and give you all sorts of grief (I had to cut
mine out).

2) Get a set of Mr. Gasket coil spacers (they look like donuts and fit
right in the coils) and stick 'em in the front. Shorter aftermarket
coils don't seem to be stiff enuf to prevent bottoming and these
things work without raising the nose back up.

3) If you are using lowered spindles (and I hope you are), the factory
15x6" wheels will rub the ball joints at full steering lock. You'll
need wheels to accomodate this (16+" diam, or a 15" with different
backspacing)

4) Get the front end aligned ASAP, as the toe-in will be off by about
a mile. Warning: Not all shops can do a lowered truck because the
truck can't clear the rack in the shop. Try to find a shop with a pit.

5) Get a pair of Wayfarers and some fuzzy dice!

G'luck!
- Jim
  Cincinnati, OH