Re: Re: copper colored Dak

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 18:19:50 EST

At 05:44 PM 12/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>for that "look". I suspect that most of 'em don't take performance into
>consideration, or if they do, its just to make their truck "look" fast,
>instead of actually making it fast. I've lost count of the number
>of trucks I see in the magazines with wild expensive paint schemes,
>custom interiors, and for that extra kick in the pants, a K&N drop
>in. :-) IMHO, if you can see all the little details in my paint
>job, I'm not goin' fast enough. ;-)<<<
>

>Flames? none here! =)
>
>hehehe... I think you're confusing the slammed crowd with the Riceboy
>crowd (even though someRiceboys have infiltrated into the Truck scene) I
>agree that a lot of show trucks only actually roll from the garage to the
>trailer, but then there are one's that are not Trailer Queens and
>actually do run... and run well... I have an old issue of Motor Trend
>(april 95) that has a Dakota in the Performance Trends section (pg 126)
>that has a Vortech, Intercooled 318 with Headers (Dougie Thorley) and
>Ultra-Flow mufflers that runs 13.9@98.3mph, 0-60 in 5.8, 350 Horsepower,
>and all that good stuff. The other side of this is, it's lowered by a
>western Chassis kit, has Tokico Gas Charged shocks, 17's with
>235/40ZR17's up front and 275/40ZR17 on the rear. It pulls .84g on the
>skid pad (over .71 stock) and runs the slalom 8.8 mph faster ( 63.3 over
>54.5 stock) I have the issue if anyone has any questions about mods. I
>think we can safely say that it HANDLES =) so... moral of the story? If
>you build it right, it will handle like a good sports car, but... then
>there's the other guys =) hehehehe

  Now that's more like it! Arrh arrh arrh!! ;-)

  That's what I like to see... A nice balance. That's one of the
things that bugs me about the slammed trucks; IMHO, they look out of
balance when the tops of the wheels start to become hidden by the
wheels... (And then there's the "my truck has a $10,000 paint job
and is powered by a weed whacker with a K&N" out-of-balance...) :-)
Oh well, its their money. More "spank fodder" for me... ;-)

  Although, getting back to the Dak you mentioned; did they say anything
about traction problems in the 1/4? That's slower than I'd expect from
a Vortech'ed Dak. He should be running about 13.3; at least 13.5...
   The 17's actually help in the gearing department (if its got 3.55's,
the 275/40's would raise that to 3.83's). Maybe its got the 3.23's?

                                               -Jon-