Re: 11sec dak- How I did it

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 21:35:41 EST

At 06:07 PM 6/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

> Greetings!
> From a new DML subscriber. I finally broke down and bought a computer. I
> guess its because I' ve been spending to much time on my truck!

   Welcome to the list, Tom!! I'm sure you're about to get hit with a
slew of questions, so I'll try to keep mine as short as possible and not
duplicate what anyone else has asked already... :-)

> The first thing I' d like to say is that is no max-effort, high dollar race
> truck. Any member can easily replicate what I' ve done for a relatively
> modest investment.
> MODS:
> 318 stock short block
> Magnum heads- Hughes stage 1 port job(stock valves) int=240cfm/exh=180@ 500
> lift

  I've been trying to find the best way to go with the heads; so far, it
sounds like having someone port them is it; do you mind if I ask how much
$$$ that port job was?

> valvetrain-RC performance pushrods,retainers&keepers; comp cams -custom grind
> cam 512/520 lift; duration 206/212 @ .0500; 112 seperation; crower roller
> rockers 1.72 ratio

   Cams are still a black magic to me; that's an area where I could really use
some education, so this might sound stupid, but I'm assuming you went to Comp
Cams
with the specs and they made one just for you? (I assume that costs extra?)
Where did you come up with those cam specs? Is that a "nitrous grind"?

> Regulator- mallory FP regulator on return line (92 daks)

   What year is your truck?

> 60ft:1.70
> Motor:13.2 @103.8

  Wow, that thing really hooks up!! Do you run the juice right off the line?
(oops, I think someone else already asked that.) :-) I can't believe how
quick your truck is on the motor alone! I've seen Daks with superchargers that

couldn't touch that time! Great job!!!

> PS I just added a 3800 stall converter and Weld wheels(5 lug coversion) I'm
> going to the track this friday at Baytown,TX. Anyone care to join-come on!

  Hey Gene, don't you live in Baytown?? :-)

Tom, is your truck a regular or club cab? (If regular cab, short or long bed?)
Any idea what the race weight is?

  Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide! I'm only in the mid 14's
now,
but I hope to add a Nitrous Express plate system on top of the MPI manifold
soon; my eventual goal is an 11, but maybe now I'll have to shoot lower? ;-)

  Again, welcome to the list; I hope you'll be able to glean as much info
from us as we're trying to get from you! ;-)

 (PS: You've gotta get that thing up on the DragTruk page!) :-)

                                               -Jon-