Re: RE: NOx not Nitrous!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 13:40:34 EST

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Bridges, Bruce wrote:

> DML,
> I dont think they are talking about Nitrous oxide. They are talking about
> NOx. This stuff is a deadly poison in the right(wrong) amounts. On the
> bright side, It is the best smooth muscle relaxant there is. In large
> quantities, say 100 PPB (parts per Billion) the NOx will relax the lung
> muscles allowing people that could not breath due to certain disease states
> to breath. Still in the experimental phases in europe though... SO, DO NOT
> HUFF YOUR TAILPIPE! YOU WILL DIE! NO ONE WILL LAUGH!! ESPECIALLY YOU!!
> :^0 Now if it were really nitrous, Youd have a great power adder system.
> Id add about 10 cats to my exhaust and really fly...
> BKB

   Bruce,

  You're right about the NOx, but yep, they really are talking about
nitrous oxide (N2O). I saw a little sidebar about the report this
article refers to in a sidebar in Car & Driver. Very small amounts
though, nothing useful. :-)

  I, for one, found it quite amusing that the mighty cat is also
doing its "part" to destroy the envoronment... More proof that the
EPA doesn't know what its doin'. :-) I guess that's what'cha get
when you knee-jerk regulations into existance!

  Speaking of cats, I finally got around to having an exhaust
shop bend up my exhaust and make it so I can swap my cat or
a test pipe in and out. The cat is on the truck now (trying
to get the HP as low as possible for winter) and its like
a whole 'nother truck. The cat is sucking my truck's will to
live!!! :-) It doesn't sound anywhere near as nice with the cat
on there either.

                                              -Jon-