Re: Re: MP SBEC, bad pinging problem, please help!

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 23:38:38 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: JeffofSLU@aol.com <JeffofSLU@aol.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: DML: Re: MP SBEC, bad pinging problem, please help!

>Sam,
> Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've got a few questions for you:
>
> 1) How long have you had the 180 and have you experienced any negative
>side effects with it (such as decreased gas mileage, water pump failure,
> etc.)?

I put the 180 in a few months ago. No problems at all. The temp gauge is
just slightly lower, and the heater worked fine when it was 36 F. here a few
weeks ago (in the morning).

> 2) Did you experience any harmful effects of the detonation?

I just dynod my truck today, and with 101600 miles it has better HP/torque
than it did nearly 2 years ago (55752 miles then--- though I have change
some
exhaust components, throttle body mods, etc.) The detonation isn't a good
thing,
and when it happens it is best to 'back off' the gas a little until it
stops. I find that
on HOT/DRY days, it occurs more frequently. The 180 tstat should have gone
in
a year or more ago, but I was too lazy to get it done. Finally took the
plunge, and
$17.50 later (t-stat, gasket, a pan to catch the green stuff, and a 10"
socket ext.)
it was in. Took about an hour to do start to finish.

> 3) How much of a power diffirence did the MP SBEC make on your truck as
>compared to the headers?

The MP SBEC went into my truck first, and made a major difference in power.
The exhaust system was done about the same time (3" Cat back). About a year
later I installed the DT headers. The headers made up some low end I lost
with
the CAT back setup, and made it a more 'in tune' setup. They work great
together.

When I go back to my stock SBEC, the truck falls on it's face when cold.
This
is due to the change in backpressure, etc... and the computer cannot get a
hold
on the setup until things warm up. I have recently replaced my Ultra-FLO 3"
muffler
with a Dynomax Super Turbo, replaced the stock CAT with a Car Sound 3" Hi
FLO Cat, and a 3" pipe from the inlet to the Y pipe collector on the DT
headers.
My HP increased 5 hp (part of that might be due to the throttle body work I
have),
but my torque went from 277 to 289 ft. lb. (at the wheels). That is from
the exhaust
changes I did recently. Again my truck as 100k+ miles on it too, so that
might take
away from any noticible gains, but the truck has run great since day one. I
plan on running
the stock SBEC this weekend to see if the cold running problem is resolve
now that
I have done the exhaust work. I might find that I now have the best of both
worlds... Great
towing, and better power (balanced) vs. the previous exhaust setup.

Sam '95 SLT