Re: Re: MP SBEC, bad pinging problem, please help!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 17:29:52 EST

At 04:38 PM 12/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/18/98 9:57:52 AM Central Standard Time, setac@setac.com
>writes:
[...]
>Allen,
> Thanks for the tip. I'm going to replace the fuel filter first and see if
>that helps any. Also, could it be that with the modifications I've made (DT
>Headers, MSD, pulleys, cat-back, K&N and now MP SBEC) my motor may have
>outgrown the stock fuel pump? Have you or anyone else had to change to a
>larger fuel pump after making similar modifications?

   My gut feeling is that you've got an underlying problem there somewhere...
It seems strange to me that you're getting pinging with the headers AND the
180 degree t-stat. What kind of gas do you use? Have you tried switching
gas stations?

   I've got many of the same mods as you, with no pinging problems. Here's
my basic setup (just cut 'n pasted from my profile):

  1996 318ci V8:

Mopar Performance PCM (Aka SBEC, JTEC)
180 degree "heavy duty" Stant thermostat
Redline Water Wetter
14x3" open element air cleaner (can by Mr. Gasket, filter by K&N)
K&N X-stream lid
Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust
JBA stainless "ram-horn" headers coated by AirBorn Coatings
ATR 2.5" -> 3" stainless Y pipe
Ported and polished throttle body
MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires
Champion Gold Truck plugs gapped at .035"

                                               -Jon-