Re: Updating old Dakota/Other questions/Long

From: gary palmer (palmergj@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 20 1998 - 22:49:44 EST

I have an 88' 6er, and here's my 0.02 on the magnum swap... =)

If you are gonna' swap in a 96 with Multi Point, you need to do lot of
stuff. First, you gotta' get the intake manifold and all that stuff
(injectors, TB, and what not), then you gotta get a computer for a 96
Magnum V6. Then you gotta get some Magnum Heads, cuz the heads on the
older TBI pre-mags aren't the same. With the new computer, you gotta' do
the whole bit with the sensors and stuff too, since it's a 96 it'll be
OBDII, and blah, blah, blah =).... IMHO, you should keep the 96 block,
and get all the stuff off of a 92 magnum 6er that doesn't have OBDII of
you really want to do the Multi Point thing. If it seems like too much
trouble (which it does to my lazy arse.. hehe) just get the TBI stuff
that worked on your old motor. I don't know how much of the 96 motor you
have, so that's the best I can do =)
I say, if you're gonna' go throught all the trouble of doin' that, do it
to a V8 =)
hehehehe

-mike d.
88, V6, LE, 3.55, Slush-o-matic, many mods.

"Horn's broken, watch for finger" =)

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 09:03:13 EST Rekker21@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 12/20/98 8:33:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>palmergj@hotmail.com writes:
>
><< I've got an 87 Dakota SE. I just rebuilt a 96 3.9 magnum to drop
>into
> it. I want to switch over to a multi-port FI just like the factory
>96's.
> Anyone done this or anything similar? Doesn't look like it'll be to
> hard. >>
>Bill,
> I'm not familiar with the 87 3.9, is it EFI or carburated?
>Eric

>From Gary Palmer:

My 3.9L V6 is carburated.

Here's another question for Jon or anybody else who knows something
about this first year truck. According to my Hayes manual, as well as
the DML archives, the OEM Carb for this truck should be a Holley 2
barrel, but mine is definately a Chrysler carb. Is this something that
may have been a replacement at some point (I have had the truck for less
than a year), or is that little Crysler symbol on it just stamped on a
Holley Carb because it is OEM?

I ask because I have been having some problems that I believe may be
Carb related. I pulled the top off the bowl, and replaced the floats,
but still get horrendous gas mileage. About 10-11 MPG on average with
about a 50/50 split between city and highway driving. I had a local
garage (reputable according to my father who has gone there for years)do
a partial rebuild and jet cleaning and MPG was the same.

I have replaced several emissions control parts as I traced out a vacume
proplem. Also put in a new O2 sensor and egr. Also have done a full
tune-up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires). No luck. This is the reason I am
considering an engine replacement somewhere down the road and was
interested in Bill's replacement of his engine.

Any suggestions or other help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the
long e-mail!

Gary Palmer