RE: Subs in a Dakota

From: Brucklacher, Brett (brettb@amgen.com)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 11:44:50 EST

Yes and no. When you drop below roughly 200 Hz, the sound becomes
"unidirectional" i.e. it seems to resonate from all over. Right and left
make no real difference at that point, which is why you can bridge the two
channels together into a single sub. However, in the small confines of a
Dakota cockpit, I would agree that most people would be able to tell if the
sub were directly behind them or if it were off axis a bit... The
unidirectional feeling requires a bit more distance between the speaker and
the listener

Solution: for a single sub, mount it in the middle! That's where I'm going
to place my Solobaric... I'll let you know how it goes (I'll probably fab
the box over Christmas vacation, time permitting...)

--Brett