RE: Subs in a Dakota

From: Brucklacher, Brett (brettb@amgen.com)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 11:54:33 EST

Rears in my 98 SLT CC were 6.5-- Grille size fooled me as well. I'd have
sworn everything was 5.25 until I got the panels off... Had to take a trip
back to the store to trade in the Infinity 5.25 for some nice 6.5's, which
didn't bother me any as you get much better mid/low end with a 6.5... :)

Check Crutchfield-- they've got a fairly extensive installation application
chart, which should show you what will fit in your Dak.

FWIW, I get pretty good bass response with the Infinity speakers I have now
(6.5 all the way around). But make sure you provide enough power to the
speaker, or you'll just clip the signal and get crap. I've got a nice
Pioneer head unit that puts out plenty of good clean power (and I don't
normally run my speakers of the head unit, but I decided to give it a shot
and haven't looked back since!) I seriously doubt that crappy ChryCo (ooops
DaimChry, I mean!) stock head unit puts out enough power to drive a good
set of speakers...

You won't break any windows with the 6.5's, but you do hear the full range
of music. There's a bit of low end punch (depending on your music) but if
you're into the "boom boom", you'll want a sub as well. I'm going to put a
Solobaric 8" in my Dak-- I'll let you know how it goes.

--Brett