Re: More T-56 stuff.

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 13:42:02 EST

I just talked to Kent at Constant Velocity about the tranny and he is
sending me some contact info for Richmond . He said that they did all the
tranny work for them including the switches for the computer (since the 5.9
puter is for an auto) .

He also said that they will have a version of the hood from the SR-71
available in the near future as well as other body panels .

He told me that the independant rear has to be used with the body panels
since the track is 16" wider than stock in the rear , but they are working
on a narrower version .

When he e-mails me the info for Richmond gear , I'll make contact and let
you know .

He told me that they Viper rear ads about $8k to the price of the Sr-71 ,
but the tranny only adds about $2-3k which I found interesting .

At 01:29 PM 12/21/1998 EST, you wrote:

> Ok, I've been doing some more research on this tranny thing...
>
> I checked out the Summit and Jegs catalogs. They have a
>Richmond 6-speed tranny, but they don't call it the T-56, so
>I'm guessing its not. ?
>
> Ummmm... Just before I sent this message I went off and did
>some more research... The T-56 appears to be made by Borg-Wagner, NOT
>Richmond. Oops. :-) Unfortunately, that still doesn't clear up much
>of the confusion.) The SR-71 Dakota web site calls their tranny a
>T-56 6-speed on one page, and a Richmond 6-speed on another page.
>So natually, I assumed it was a Richmond T-56. So, either both
>Richmond and Borg Wagner make a tranny called the T-56, or the
>SR-71 page is wrong. Either way, I'm still confused. ;-)
>

> The overdrive gear ratio in 6th is .76 by default. (My NV-3500's
>5th is .729, so this 6 speed would actually raise my RPMs!) Not
>what I want to do at all! The Jegs catalog says optional overdrive
>ratios are available from .62 to .91. If my calculations are
>right, a .62 6th gear would have me cruising at about 1830RPMs
>at 70mph with my 3.55 rearend. (Currently, I get 2150RPMs at
>70mph in 5th) [ .729/.62 = 2150/x ]
>
> Here is what I came up with for RPMs resulting from various
>rearends with my NV-3500 and a Richmond with a .62 6th gear;
>
>sorted by rearend ratio:
> Trannny Rearend Approx. RPM @70mph
>
> NV3500 3.55 2150
> Richmond 3.55 1830
>
> NV3500 4.56 2760
> Richmond 4.56 2350
>
> NV3500 4.10 2480
> Richmond 4.10 2110
>
>sorted by tranny:
> Trannny Rearend Approx. RPM @70mph
>
> NV3500 3.55 2150
> NV3500 4.10 2480
> NV3500 4.56 2760
>
> Richmond 3.55 1830
> Richmond 4.10 2110
> Richmond 4.56 2350
>
> So, it looks like if I had 4.10s and the Richmond, my
>crusing RPMs would be about the same as they are now. (They'd
>drop about 40rpm) But the .62 6th gear ratio isn't enough to
>compensate for a 4.56 rearend; it would raise my cruise rpms
>by a full 200rpm. (Still much better than the 610rpm they'd
>raise with the NV3500 though...)
>

> Another concern I have is that the Summit catalog said its rated
>to take 450lb-ft of torque. What's the deal there?? I'm probably
>not all that far off from 400lb-ft now, and I plan to churn out
>much more than a measly 450lb-ft!!! Does anyone know the torque
>numbers for the Viper? Its gotta be more than 450lb-ft... Isn't
>it? If that's the case, this tranny being sold by Jegs and Summit
>doesn't appear to be the T-56.
>
> Soooo, if its not, where can I buy a T-56, and does anyone know
>anything about how much it might cost, and what the gear ratios
>are?
>

> Thanks very much in advance!
>

> -Jon-

> [...]
Jack Hilton