Re: More T-56 stuff.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 15:05:19 EST

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Jack Hilton III wrote:

> I just talked to Kent at Constant Velocity about the tranny and he is
> sending me some contact info for Richmond . He said that they did all the
> tranny work for them including the switches for the computer (since the 5.9
> puter is for an auto) .

  Any word on what that was all about? Switches for the computer?

Hey, waitaminit... I just thought of something. :-) I was just about
to say, "why didn't they use a 5.9 manual computer?" when I realized that
Dodge doesn't make a 5.9 with a manual. Then I got to thinking about how
Eric is using a Ram computer in his Dak... Eric, what's the deal with
that? Did you have to do anything special to use it? Anyone know
what the difference between a manual and an auto PCM is?

> He also said that they will have a version of the hood from the SR-71
> available in the near future as well as other body panels .
>
> He told me that the independant rear has to be used with the body panels
> since the track is 16" wider than stock in the rear , but they are working
> on a narrower version .
>
> When he e-mails me the info for Richmond gear , I'll make contact and let
> you know .

   Thanks! I'll be interested to hear what is involved in that swap...
(Course, since I have the older body style, I'm not sure how applicable
all of it will be, but since I know absolutely nothing at the moment, I'll
take any little bits and pieces!) :-) Does Richmond have spec sheets
on their trannies? (i.e. exact dimensions, hp and torque ratings,
gear ratio options, etc...)

> He told me that they Viper rear ads about $8k to the price of the Sr-71 ,
> but the tranny only adds about $2-3k which I found interesting .

   Yep, the Richmond in the Summit/Jegs catalogs are about $2,700 for GMs
and Ferds, $3,000 for Chryslers (grrr...). I'm not sure if its the same
one though. CV might be getting some sort of quantity discount from
Richmond, which would drop the price some... If I could do the swap for
$2K I'd be very happy. My current ballpark estimate though is in the
$3500-4000 range. Depends on how much customizing has to be done,
mostly... Course, the major cost is the tranny, so obviously, the cheaper
you can it, the better! :-) Hmmmm... Wrecked Viper or Z-28 maybe? Hey,
maybe I'll call Kelsey Grammar(sp?) and find out what happened to his, eh? ;-)
  Still, the peace of mind of a new unit has value too...

   That $2-3K price on the SR-71 seems to be a good omen though; if the price
is that low, I'm guessing the install isn't too much of a hassle, or the labor
charges would drive the price through the roof... Unless they're deducting
the cost of the stock tranny and selling them to someone?

                                              -Jon-