Re: RE: More T-56 stuff.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 22:47:52 EST

At 06:59 PM 12/21/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Just to add to your confusion Jon, the T-56 I know and luv from the
>Viper (as well as the Camaro/Firebird, and many others) is made by Borg
>Warner, not "Borg Wagner". In the Viper, the ratios are as follows:

  Oops, that would explain why I didn't get many WWW hits on "Borg Wagner" ;-)
Thanks!

  I've heard some good things about this tranny. I take it you're happy
with it?

>First - 2.66:1
>Second - 1.78:1
>Third - 1.30:1
>Fourth - 1.00:1
>Fifth - 0.74:1
>Sixth - 0.50:1

  Thanks for the info! Wow, those first couple of gears are pretty short!
I'd need to run 4.56's just to get movin! ;-) My NV-3500 is:

First - 4.016:1
Second - 2.318:1
Third - 1.401:1
Fourth - 1.00:1
Fifth - .729:1

  That awesome first gear is the only weapon I've got now against Bill
in the 1/4 mile... I think he can attest to its capability for yankin'
my Dak outta the hole in front of his. ;-) (Unfortunately, he always
manages to pass me a few seconds later...) :-)

  I guess I'm going to have to sit down and figure out what my final drive
ratio would be with all the various rearends and those gears. With 4.10s,
a short first gear like that might not hurt too much...

>With a 3.07 rear end, the Viper turns 1300 at 70mph. As far as where to
>buy, your friendly Dodge dealer could get you a new one, or you might be
>able to pick one up from one of the exotic auto wreckers (Kelsey Grammer
>must be about due to total another Viper...)

   Heh heh heh! :-)

  Duh, a dealer... I didn't even think of that! Thanks! :-) I cringe to
think of what kind of money they'd want, but I'll have to check out a couple
and see what they'd let one go for... At least that would get me in the
ballpark... I'll check with some GM dealerships too. I checked the Mopar
Performance catalog, but I didn't see any transmissions at all, which I
thought was kinda strange; don't high-HP vehicles usually need better
transmissions? :-)

   BTW: I found this web site: http://www.drivetrain.com/transmanual.html
which is selling T-56s for $2,600 for Mustang and GM applications.

>Torque on the Viper is 490ft/lbs stock, and there are a number of
>Hennessey modified Vipers living the good life at over 600ft/lbs with
>the same tranny. The Vipers tend to break half-shafts, not transmission
>parts...

   Thanks for the info! PS: what's a half-shaft?

  BTW:

  After reading Craig's message, I went to www.borg-warner.com to see if I
could find some tech specs, but no dice. They're called borg-warner, but
apparently, they don't have anything to do with trannies. Check out this
message on their feedback page:

    BWD AUTOMOTIVE DOES NOT MARKET OR DISTRIBUTE ANY TRANSMISSION
    OR TRANSMISSION-RELATED COMPONENTS UNDER THE BORG-WARNER BRAND NAME.
    ALL EMAILS CONCERNING TRANSMISSIONS AND TRANSMISSION RELATED QUESTIONS
    WILL BE DELETED...EXCEPT FOR CLUTCH RELATED QUESTIONS.

  So apparently, they must get a lot of e-mail about this. :-) Of course,
they don't say which company DOES do the Borg-Warner trannies, so that was
real helpful. Not... I suppose they don't want to link to a "competitor",
but that kind of butt-headedness is just the sort of thing that ticks me off
and puts a little mental note in my noggin something along the lines of,
"Do not buy anything from BWD Automotive..." ;-)

 Ok, anyway, I found another site: www.bwauto.com This one at
least has transmission stuff on it, but all I found were components for
automatic trannies. I sent them an e-mail message asking about where I
can find info on the T-56 and the like, I guess we'll see what happens
with that...

                                               -Jon-