Battery Opinion and Stereo ramblings

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 11:55:30 EST

     Hi, all. Here's my 2 bits about the battery thing. I used to live in
     Saskatchewan which experiences -30 degrees Celsius weather for almost
     5 months out of the year. I had a Champion 850 CCA that worked like a
     champ, and in my Mustang 5.0, I had an Optima 800U (red top) that was
     excellent. It cost me $180 CDN, but I knew it was one of the best out
     there. Especially recommended for vehicles with high-powered stereos,
     like the one that I have. Play it loud for an hour, jump in and fires
     up no problem. If the battery dies in my R/T (heavy-duty service group
     with big battery), I imagine I'll replace it with an Optima. I'd stay
     away from deep-cycles because they are meant for long, low-current
     drains, like those in an RV where you have lights on all night or
     something. The Optima deep cycle is the yellow top, which seems to be
     all the rage in the car audio circles, but I don't think half of the
     people that buy them even now what they are for. They like it 'cause
     its new and yellow, and it's just part of the bill they cut a cheque
     for.

     As far as stereos go, I'm excited to put mine in my future R/T CC.
     I've been paying attention to all the posts about sub boxes and stuff,
     but have been keeping quiet until I get it in, because I don't want to
     seem like a person shooting my mouth off before I have anything to
     show off. It'll be done by summer and I am going to compete with it.
     I've been competing in IASCA format in the Pro 151-300 watt class for
     about 3 years. If anyone would like to see the system I had in my
     Avenger, email me and I'll be happy to send them. My equipment is
     mostly Rockford Fosgate with an Alpine CD head unit and Coustic
     x-over.

     Well, I guess I should get to work. That's what they pay me for! :-)

     Chad Niwranski
     future 99 R/T CC
     Abbotsford, BC
     cniwranski@reid-crowther.com