1994 Dakota 4x4

From: Bruce Bishop (bbishop@netlinkcorp.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 11:51:16 EST

I have a problem with the above Dakota. I have had it back to the dealer several times in the last year and the truck has 50,000 miles on it.
Background: The Dakota is a 1994 club cab, black, sport. It has the 318 engine with a five speed manual trans.
My problem is this; For about a year now I have been experiencing a miss (or more likely a surging) between 1000 and 2000 RPMs. In the morning when the engine is cold and I'm coasting down one of these West Virginia hills you can hear the engine backfiring. When I reach the bottom of the hill and give it the gas it will buck and jump four or five times before it smooths out.
The dealer has replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, MAP sensor, EGR valve, fuel filter, and even the transmission (I couldn't figure that one out) I have sprayed injector cleaner in and even added a Jacobs Electronic spark booster and their spark plug wires but it still does the same thing.
The dealer said that there was no computer codes on the computer to tell them what is going on.
I really love this truck and I want to keep it but this is driving me crazy. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help me with this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Bruce in WV
Bruce M. Bishop
Med-Response,Inc.
(304)589-3472
bbishop@netlinkcorp.com