Re: Differentials

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 15:19:57 EST

>Can someone explain the differences between Sure-Grip, Auburn,
>and factory installed limited slip differentials?

What the Chrysler factory calls a Sure-Grip, IS the Auburn Gear clutch-
type limited slip. They work very well.

>LSD but am interested in aquiring it. Any suggestions on which to get?

You need the Chrysler 8 1/4" rear end (which you almost certainly have).
You donŽt have a lot of options. Get the Auburn.

>Since the truck is new should I have the dealer install it or is a local
>garage O.K. How would the warranty be effected? Any ideas on

The carrier in the 8 1/4 is two-piece, you simply unbolt the regular diff,
and bolt in the Auburn as a unit. Supposed to be pretty straightforward.
If you want the drivetrain warranty to cover it, youŽll have to have the
dealer or a driveline shop install it, but youŽll pay for the priviledge.

>the cost to install it? Is it worth it since I have 4WD. Thanks for any

Check the list archives. Seems to me someone had found a price of
about $270 for the part itself. IŽd be unhappy if I was charged over
$500 for the part and labor. Shop around.

YouŽll notice the difference right away offroad, especially on loose
sand or gravel. If you have a V8, you NEED the LSD to get the power
to the ground - even on asphalt.

Enjoy,

Jim