Re: Questions about '96 Dak

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 17:49:02 EST

At 04:46 PM 12/23/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Was the '96 an OBDII truck?

  Yep.

>Did it come with dual air bags or was there a passenger
>side air bag?

  Nope; driver's side airbag only.

>Is the 4-speed auto. tranny the same as the one on
>the '97 Dak.

  That one I'm not sure about. The 5 speed is the same... :-)

>I've been surfing the web trying to find out the answers
>but no luck. My impression is that the only major differences
>between the two years are the new exterior, the suspension
>and the small power gain in the V8 due to a freer exhaust
>system.

  That sounds about right... Another change I know of is the
airbox; the filter got moved from on top of the TB out into the air
duct. Interior is different too. I think I saw that someone
said the 9.25" rearend was available as an option too. (Or was that
for 1998?)

  Still mulling over using a '96 computer, eh? :-)

  If it helps, the computer looks like it has the same connectors, and
it looks about the same size. (I noticed this last night when I was
looking at some pictures of Sean Meldrum's engine bay.)

  On the one hand, it would seem like it should work, but if it does, then
what is the holdback at MP for the hipo PCM? Seems to me that if the '96
would work, they'd use it for the '97s too?

                                               -Jon-