Re: RE:DML V10 for Durango

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 17:52:17 EST

At 08:54 AM 12/24/98 -0800, you wrote:
> Yep, this truck probably wouldn't appeal to the "speed" faction,
>especially since it probably would be the truck V10. (actually, the Durango
>in general probably doesn't...) But some people just want the biggest engine
>they can get... :-) Also, I think the Durango can already tow something
>like 7,000lbs, so the V10 would probably jack that number up even more. A
>great alternative for a family that needs a lot of seating or cargo room
>(they're immediately limited to a minivan or sport ute), but also needs to
>tow some big stuff.
>
> This vehicle would be perfect for someone needing a lot of seating
>room who is faced with the possibility of having to buy another
>vehicle just to tow a large boat or something.
>-----------------------
>
> Your logic here seems fine but even you Jon are forgetting something:
>torque rules the streets. A 1-ton duelly with a V10, automatic, a 3.55
>rearend, and minor mods would waste even the fastest Dak on the list here.
>Those snarling beasts have almost 400ft lbs of torque :stock: AT AN IDLE.
>They also out horsepower the Daks by a lot. They don't weigh much more so
>their power to weight ratios are better than ours. The power curve on the
>truck V10 is the flattest I've ever seen on a truck motor.

    I'll admit right off the bat that I've never driven or ridden in a V10
ram, but I am pretty confident that I can take just about any of 'em, and
I'm far from the fastest Dak on this list. I think I could safely bet the
farm on Tom's 11.5@118 Dak or Dahrl's 10.68@125 being able to outrun a
big ol' dualie. ;-)

  While its true that the V10 has a decent amount of horsepower and
gobs of torque, it makes it down REALLY low. Does anyone know the
redline on the truck V10? I think its somewhere in the neighborhood
of 3,000 RPM. Or am I thinking of the Cummins? A motor like that will
tow like a locomotive, but it doesn't stand a chance during drag racing.

  Ok, I found some more info; looks like the V10 redline is 4500.
The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts occur at 3500rpm, not exactly an ideal drag
racing setup. (And I don't think its available in a manual. ?)
   Check out this actual dyno pull of a modified V10 in a 1995
4x4: http://gn2.getnet.com/~sbelt/images/dyno_peak.gif
At about 2,000 rpm it was making about 470lb-ft of torque, but
it just kept falling from there, and while the HP did slowly creep
up, the curve is rather flat, finally peaking about about 260hp
around 4200rpm.

> I've watched a 1 ton V10 lay down a patch of rubber that would make most
>power fiends drool. Remember: that's a hell of a footprint those trucks have
>and they can still out distance our daks in a rubber laying contest. The one
>I watched had the duelly wheels removed and replaced with a custom set of mags
>that ran a racing tire the entire width of the old set of 2 tires.

   I've never understood the "how far can you patch out?" folks. :-) Tires
that aren't hooked up don't do anyone except your competitor any good. Its
one
of the basic philosophies of drag racing. You lift, you lose; you spin,
you lose.
:-) That Ram you saw obviously has a lot of torque, but personally, I
prefer to
have the low end a little weak to allow the tires to hook, then start churning
out the real power at midrange and high end where traction isn't such a
big issue.

> Just because the engine is iron, uses pushrods instead of overhead cams,
>and is in a truck doesn't mean it's any less of an engine. The Viper motor
>pushes the Viper around very nicely, but put a 15,000lb trailer behind it and
>watch it self destruct. It's a delicate motor that has some well know
>problems (like insufficient oil circulation). The V-10 truck motor is solid
>as a rock and is basically a 318/360 with 2 more cylinders tacked on. I'd
>trade in my V-8 for a V-10 any day of the week. I certainly wouldn't be
>losing much gas mileage compared to what my truck swallows now.

    ? I didn't mean to imply that it was any less of an engine, just that
it was better suited to towing than speed. Heck, I love the pushrod engine!
Easy to understand, easy to work on... No DOHC for me, thanks! :-) It just
depends on what you want to do with your truck. I'm admittedly a speed freak,
my main interest is in how fast I can get down the 1/4 mile. So, I'll keep my
V8. (Well, I'll take the 360...) ;-) The V10 just doesn't appear to be well
suited to drag racing.

  I've never seen a V10 Ram at the dragstrip, but now you've piqued my
curiosity. Anyone know about what they run in the 1/4? I think the
360 equipped SS/T / Indy Ram's run in the 16's somewhere; seems to me
that subtracting 2 seconds is a fairly tall order for a V8->V10 swap.

                                               -Jon-