Re: homemade RAM Air

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 11:55:49 EST

Gordon Adams wrote:

> I have a 99 R/T, and I was admiring the engine the other day when I
> noticed something about the factory air box configuration. Stock pulls
> air from within the engine. It looked to me like with a minor
> modification of the tube, you could point it to the front with an
> extension, and make it flush with the front of the engine compartment.
> The part that would have to be opened up is just a soft material. It
> even has a little x already puched through it in mine. It looks as
> though you could pipe air straight in to the factory box like this. Has
> any body else noticed this or attempted to do this. (of course you
> wouldnt do this with the factory air filter).
>
> gordon
> 99 R/T black rc

        Gordon, I've done this to my R/T. I just unpinned the rubber stuff and
zip tied it in a roll so I could re-install it if I didn't like my mod.
This was the first thing I did, plus a K&N drop in element, and I can
honestly tell you it doesn't help performance in the least. I think it's
just too far from the grille to the actual T/B openings with many rough
edges to flow around. If it's performance you're after, try a HP setup
designed for the truck, there are many styles available, (open element,
cone style, etc.) and from what the dml has posted, they work. Myself,
I'm waiting for the functional 2/3 Hemi Shaker Hood. It'll look great
and add some real horsepower. Alan S.