heli-coil

From: Mike.Burgess@akamail.com
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 21:41:29 EST

> To make a long story short I had to drill out the bolt. Now
> I don't know whether to drill and tap the hole for a 5/8" bolt
> instead of
> half-inch, use some sort of coil insert and use the half-inch bolt,
> or something else entirely.

 A properly installed heli-coil, or equlivent, is actually stronger than
a tapped hole. The hole is supposed to be re-tapped with a heli-coil
tap, for the right size, the coil screwed in, and the tang broken off,
and retrived. This takes the proper tool to do correctly. The coil is
usually a stronger metal the the substrate, and can take a lot more wear
and tear, and since it's external threads are larger than the original
size,
stress is spread over a wider area, makeing a stronger fitting.
 Or - you could drill out the threads, and run a bolt and nut through,
use
a high grade rated set, crank it doen tight, put a jam nut behind the
first
nut, and it should last a while.
  Mike

coiled hole:
 a stripped thread repair, useing a coiled wire, that looks very much
like a spring, when the ruined hole is retapped for the outside of the
coil, they are sized so the inside of the coil is the same as the
original threads. Bolt goes in, everyone is happy. Screw up
part of it, it sucks.

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)