R/T spare care

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 19:10:39 EST

Well, I need help to figure this one out. After my drag radials came
in, I decided to have them mounted. I lowered the spare and my heart
fell. Last time I dumped the spare at the track, I decided to re-install
it in it's winch with the wheel facing up. I figured this would keep
road grime and kicked up rocks from messing it up. Well the bottom of
the bed dug a notch in the wheel right in the middle of a highly visible
part of the rim. It's a pretty nasty gash too. I didn't pay attention to
how it came down from the winch the first time, so I figured face up was
the way to go. It'd be kinda hard to get it in the winch face down
without scratching the face of the rim up. What did I do wrong? I didn't
read the manual naturally. Is this one on me? Alan S.