OBD-II vs OBD-I computers...

From: Geoffrey Hausheer (ghaushe@ichips.intel.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 12:12:23 EST

I just had a silly question. Is there any reason why one couldn't just pull
out the OBD-II computer, make an adapter harness, and install the MP
performance computer from an OBD-I system? Is there just a single computer
for everything in the truck, or is it just engine management stuff?
        Or, if it is not possible to just kill off the OBD-II computer, how about
just splitting the relevant inputs (say through an opto-isolator so as not to
reduce the impedance) and driving them into an OBD-I computer, then tying off
the OBD-II outputs for fuel and spark, and using the signals from the MP
computer there instead? Are there any inputs that the older computers need
that the new computers don't? The only thing I could think of that would be
lacking is if the mass-air-flow was determined in a different manner on the
new trucks vs the old ones, but this doesn't seem too likely (it's not like
they are doing PV calculations are they?).
        Of course I doubt that such a setup would pass any of the necessary emissions
laws, but it would be easily removable.

Anyone know why this wouldn't work?
.Geoff

Geoffrey Hausheer