Re: ?Quick CD Fix?

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 11:16:06 EST

You didn't mention which year truck you have, or the specific stereo
model. (Believe it or not, the year DOES matter). All of the BASE model
stereos with MANUAL eject and ff/rew buttons I've seen have this awful
sound that you speak of (Tried a '94 Concorde, '95 New Yorker, and '92
Grand Caravan). The Infinity systems, and all the newer base systems
sound fine (the key to look for is the "full logic", or electronic, eject
and ff/rew buttons). My '99 has the base tape deck with these controls,
and the sound from my discman sounds just as good/awful as the stock
system (I'm replacing it on friday). I don't know about the '98s, but I'm
pretty sure the '97s and older had the old mechanical controls, which are
the problem units.

Two possible solutions: I'm guessing you're using a relatively
high-quality CD Player/tape adapter, most likely a Sony. In my
experience, Sony tape adapters (I've tried 6 units, and a total of 4
models of sony adapters) sound the WORST in these older stereos. If you
have the old stereo and a sony adapter, try a crappy adapter, like a
Realistic or Recoton. I found these to sound MUCH better than Sonys for
the old CC stereos. The downside is the wiring is really cheap, so you
need to replace either the wiring or the whole unit every 6mos-1yr.

Also, after I replace my stereo, I may be able to be convinced to sell you
my OEM unit, or you might be able to find one in a junkyard or something.
Any of the newer full logic base stereos will plug right up to your
harness and take care of this problem.

Sorry for my long-windedness, but I've spent a lot of time dealing with
this problem, and found it simpler to just replace the head unit with an
Alpine CD.

David Gloff
'99 Intense Blue Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG with all the trimmings