Re: mucked me truck

From: Gordon Adams (rtgordon@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 10:07:20 EST

It is probably different for different companies, but with my
experiences, the Insurance appraises the value of the vehicle before the
wreck (this figure is usually between what you might get as trade in
value and retail value). In some cases, if the vehicle is too new, you
may be upside down (owe more than the Insurance co. will give you) if
the car is totalled. They then look at the cost of repairs at one of
their selected repair shops (for me it was the dealership auto body
repair shop) and if the damages exceed the cost of the vehicle, the
Insurance company will total it and write you a check for the amount
they stated originally if there is no lien holder or they mail the
unpaid balance to the bank, and write you a check for the difference. I
have always heard that you should not take their first offer, but in my
case, they would not budge. Also, if it is a close call, sometimes the
Insurance company will let you decide whether or not it will be
totalled. I don't think the Insurance company really lets you decide.
They will not pay more than the car is worth to fix it.

Gordon
99 R/T black rc