Re: DML Digest V4 #102

From: Scott Rosenzweig (scottr@his.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 06:48:27 EST

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:03:37 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:38:23 -0500
>From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
>Subject: Re[2]: DML: ?Quick CD Fix?
>
>Thanks Bob and JY. Bob's saying these go for ~ $200+... Isn't this
>getting close to the price of a *decent* am/fm, CD & Cassette receiver? I
>made a mistake with this portable and I don't want to waste anymore $$.
>
>Maybe the best move is to chill, save some bones and get a decent quality
>replacement?? Can you recommend a reasonably priced unit so I can spin up
>some classic Stevie Ray Vaughan driving music?

FWIW ...
You can buy (as others have pointed out) an RF changer that ties into
your current system. They work, but the only reports I have heard are
from folk who also like the portable cd w/cassette adapter. The Mopar
changer can be had for about 370 if you can install it yourself (not
me). Local shop installed the Alpine for $450 (seems identical to the
Mopar) and so far the sound is excellent. Cheapest answer, look into
buying a new head unit with built in CD/ Checking around Circuit
City, and www.Discountcarstereo.com, (I have a Toyota in need of a
transplant)I found a number of units in the $125-175 range. A decent
source of info on car audio is rec.audio.car.

Good luck