Re: R/T spare care

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 11:59:31 EST

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Oh man, oh man, what a bummer! I feel for ya'.
>
> Unfortunately this one is on you if our manuals are similar ('98 4x4
> Sport+)... I was gonna' flip the spare before I went off roading to
> "protect" the wheel but the manual specifically states to store the spare
> "stem side down" (or something like that)... I didn't know why ('till now)
> and they don't explain in the manual but I didn't want to mess with it
> 'cause they were so specific.
>
> I know this tidbit of info is beyond useless to you now (hindsight is
> 20/20, no?) but you do have my condolences. Is the damage beyond buffing
> out or covering up some how??? (shred of hope)
>
> T.
> Subject: DML: R/T spare care
> Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
> Date: 12/30/98 4:10 PM
>
> Well, I need help to figure this one out. After my drag radials came
> in, I decided to have them mounted. I lowered the spare and my heart
> fell. Last time I dumped the spare at the track, I decided to re-install
> it in it's winch with the wheel facing up. I figured this would keep
> road grime and kicked up rocks from messing it up. Well the bottom of
> the bed dug a notch in the wheel right in the middle of a highly visible
> part of the rim. It's a pretty nasty gash too. I didn't pay attention to
> how it came down from the winch the first time, so I figured face up was
> the way to go. It'd be kinda hard to get it in the winch face down
> without scratching the face of the rim up. What did I do wrong? I didn't
> read the manual naturally. Is this one on me? Alan S.

        Thanks for the kind words. I think I can use some aluminum inpregnated
body filler in the gouges and carefully hand paint the patches.
Fortunately, I have 4 flawless ( for now ) rims on the truck and I'm
useing the messed up one for the drag radials. I still want to fix it
though. I was planning to take some video at the track and I don't want
the flaw to show. Let my mistake serve as a warning, DO NOT install your
spare valve side up.Alan S.